Home Spennymoor Pub licence reinstated

Pub licence reinstated

Police outside the Quinn's Inn pub in Spennymoor following the incident in November.

A pub where staff were accused of lying and misdirecting police following a violent attack has been allowed to reopen, writes Local Democracy Reporter, Bill Edgar. 

Quinn’s Inn, on Spennymoor High Street, was criticised by Durham Constabulary for their response and handling of the incident on November 22. 

A 34-year-old was left with life-threatening injuries and needed emergency brain surgery after the attack at the pub at around 12:30am. 

Police claim they only found out about the incident after the victim was rushed to hospital. 

Paul Clarke, representing Durham Constabulary, told a Durham County Council licensing hearing: “There has been such an abject failure in all aspects that has caused us a great deal of concern 

“When we approached the pub, there was a wall of silence, misdirection and lies.”

Two men, aged 21 and 23, were arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and have since been bailed. A police investigation is ongoing. 

The hearing on Friday (December 19) was told that the venue initially posted on social media, saying the incident did not happen at their pub, and that staff working on the night changed their account of events when asked by the police. 

“What’s happened here is the worst example of what you could do in such a circumstance,” Mr Clarke said. 

Quinn’s Inn has been closed since November 26, when Durham County Council immediately suspended the venue’s licence due to the severity of the incident. 

Duncan Craig, representing the venue, told Friday’s hearing that several new polices and training have been initiated and provided since the closure. 

“There were lots of things that occurred that could have been done significantly better and there were failings and shortcomings by the premises,” he said. 

But Mr Craig disputed claims that the owners of the venue have not cooperated with the police. Chad Ellis, a family member who previously worked at the pub and who the police criticised for disrupting the investigation, will no longer be employed. 

Police have visited the venue four times in the past four years but did not raise any concerns, Mr Craig said.  

The pub said it would introduce several new safety policies to improve its response to incidents and engagement with the police. 

Mr Craig added: “They want to keep serving, they enjoy running the pub and feel it is an important part of the community. A pub is more than a business; it’s a place for people to connect and feel less isolated. It’s clear this is a pub embedded in the local community.”

Keith and Susan Ellis, owners of Quinn’s Inn for 25 years, were supported by several members of the Spennymoor community at the County Hall hearing. Isabelle Guy, who has worked there for nearly three years, praised the couple for running the venue “lawfully, responsibly and professionally”. 

Cllr Ian Geldard, of Spennymoor Town Council, said: “[The pub is] a real sense of community and one that has been missing in the time the pub has been shut. If it were shut for any longer, it would have a detrimental effect on a lot of people.”

The council’s licensing committee accepted the pub’s offer of introducing several new safety measures. The sale of alcohol will be reduced to midnight, plastic glasses will be used after 9pm, and staff must join the local Pubwatch scheme. 

Councillor Tim Robson, licensing chair, said: “Because of the nature of this case, we feel that there is time required to train individuals, so we intend to extend the suspension of the licence for two weeks, but to reinstate Susan Ellis as the designated premises supervisor.”

Bill Edgar
Local Democracy Reporter |  More posts from this author

Reporter for the Local Democracy Reporter Service.

Spennymoor's local community newspaper.

1 COMMENT

  1. From media information as well as the formal police reports to the county council I would hope there are prosecutions for failure to report a Crime, tampering with evidence, making false statement to the police.

    Or is this just bye the bye now for Spennymoor and crime in general. Anyone can do anything they want ?

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here