
North East leaders have agreed to commit half a million pounds to develop plans to revitalise the area around the mothballed Leamside Line, writes Local Democracy Reporter, James Robinson.
Reopening the 21-mile stretch of line is a key long-term pledge of North East Mayor Kim McGuinness.
More than £8million has already been committed to develop business cases for the reopening of the railway – but the North East Combined Authority (NECA) is already looking at the bigger picture.
The new strategy will look at improving towns and villages along the line such as Ferryhill, Penshaw, West Rainton and Fencehouses by acting as a catalyst for new houses and jobs to spring up around vastly improved transport links. A report presented to NECA’s cabinet on Tuesday even suggested that a brand new town could be built in the area.
Speaking at the meeting, Ms McGuinness said: “We’re moving forward with our Leamside Line plan to reopen a railway and create jobs and homes. The Leamside Line is the missing piece of North East rail infrastructure.
“It will open up parts of Durham and ease pressure on the East Coast Mainline. We have already committed £8.6 million last year and this investment order builds on this even further.
“We know this is a long-term mayoral proposal, but it is crucial to the growth of our region.”
The Leamside Line, which was closed in the 1960s as part of the now-infamous Beeching cuts, has been labelled as the single most important transport infrastructure upgrade for the future of the North East.
Bringing the northern section of the railway back into use would allow for Tyne and Wear Metro services to finally be extended to Washington, while its full refurbishment could mean a new Tyne-Tees passenger rail service and the freeing up of space on the congested East Coast Main Line.
However, restoring rail services will require vast investment from both the Government as well as potentially from the private sector.
The cost of project is expected to be well over £1billion, with the Washington Metro Loop alone listed as a £900million project in the mayor’s draft Local Transport Plan.
Despite the challenges, members of the cabinet were supportive of the plans.
Durham County Council leader Amanda Hopgood said NECA was demonstrating long-term planning with the move.
She said: “As a combined authority, we have already clearly demonstrated how we are able to deliver quickly. We have got things that people can see happening and we have created some momentum.
“What this demonstrates is the ambition of the combined authority for the long term. This is not going to happen overnight, it is a gradual fix.
“As a region, we have been left behind for years, we have been allowed to flounder when our industries have finished with no replacement.
“It is really important we demonstrate a long-term plan for future generations, so that they will never be stuck in the same position as we were.”
The cabinet unanimously agreed to back the creation of the strategy.

James Robinson
Reporter for the Local Democracy Reporter Service.
South West Durham News covering news across County Durham.



