Moors thump Lancaster in FA Cup

James Roberts fires home Moor’s second of the game en route to a 5-0 away win at Lancaster City in the FA Cup Second Qualifying Round. Image: Moors TV, reports:

Spennymoor won their first FA Cup tie since 2016 with the help of two goals from the returning Glen Taylor against Lancaster City.

First half goals from Andrew Johnson and James Roberts put Moors in control at the interval, and after being introduced just past the hour mark, Taylor struck twice in quick succession to end any hopes of a City comeback.

Mark Anderson rounded off the scoring four minutes from time.

Jason Ainsley was forced into a change before the game when Callum Williams, originally pencilled in at right back, pulled out of the squad with injury. This meant Carl Magnay moved across and Nathan Buddle stepped into centre back from the bench.

The home side, currently 9th in their division, created the games first opening, with Jason Walker nipping in to steer a shot which was saved well by the alert Matt Gould.

Matty Blinkhorn then headed another right wing cross over the bar, signalling City’s early intent.

Despite starting the game on the front foot it was Spennymoor who showed their ruthless streak, at times absent this season, to take the lead after 15 minutes.

The goal arrived in simple fashion when a long kick upfield from Gould found Johnson who steered a shot with the outside of his foot into the far corner.

That goal helped Moors settle into the tie and they doubled their lead ten minutes later via another simple route to goal.

This time a quick throw-in from Stephen Brogan found Roberts in space, and he let the ball bounce before zipping a shot past Sam Ashton.

Moors took that two goal advantage into the break and emerged the stronger side after the restart, coming close when Adam Boyes’ prodded effort was well saved by Ashton.

That was Boyes’ last action of the game as he was replaced by the returning Taylor, who was making his first appearance since injuring his ankle against Gateshead at the start of the month.

It took the striker just seven minutes to make an impact when he clinically dispatched a penalty after Roberts was brought down by Ben Hudson.

Any hopes from Lancaster that Moors would take their foot off the pedal were found wanting when Taylor once again pounced to double his personal tally within ten minutes of entering the action.

A free-kick from Brogan was poorly dealt with by the City back line, with the ball falling kindly to the feet of the striker who swept a shot past Ashton.

Rob Ramshaw and Gavin Cogdon both had opportunities to increase the scoreline, but the best chance for a fifth fell to Taylor who was unable to complete his hat-trick when he struck a close range shot over the bar.

Taylor turned architect four minutes from time as the elusive fifth goal finally arrived, with the striker feeding fellow substitute Anderson who tucked the ball past Ashton.

Moors reward, when the draw for the next round was made on Monday morning, was an away trip to Ashton United.

The game will be played on Saturday 5th October at Hurst Cross.

The Robins play in the Northern Premier league, where they currently sit 19th. They overcame Ponte Colls FC in the last round.

Travel details for a supporters’ bus or buses will be released in due course.

Meanwhile, in other news, winger Rees Greenwood has joined Northern League Division One side West Auckland on a permanent basis.

Greenwood, 23, joined Spennymoor Town in the summer following spells with Sunderland, Gateshead and Falkirk.

After featuring in pre-season, he was loaned to West Auckland in August in order to get more game time.

“The club would like to wish Rees all the best in the future,” said a spokesperson.

Moors will host Chester-le-Street Town on Tuesday October 15th in the First Round of the Durham Challenge Cup.

Gavin Cogdon scored all four goals in the previous rounds as Moors beat Darlington Town 4-1 at home to progress.

The tie will take place at 7.45pm. Admission is £5 adults, £2 concession and £1 for under 18s.

Next up for Moors is a return to National League North action with Kidderminster Harriers the visitors to the Brewery Field.

Harriers will be smarting after exiting the FA Cup to Stafford Rangers while Moors will be hoping to continue their hot streak of scoring form, with 13 goals in their previous four games. Kick off this weekend is at 3pm.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here