
Details of where three new Tyne and Wear Metro stations could be built are set to be revealed next month, writes Local Democracy Reporter, Daniel Holland.
Transport chiefs plan to unveil latest proposals for the Metro’s long-awaited extension to Washington in September.
It is hoped that the new line will be ready to open in 2033, creating a 13km loop connecting the existing stations at Pelaw and South Hylton and marking the first expansion of the network in 30 years.
Three new stops are planned at Follingsby, Washington North and Washington South, but exact details of where they will be located have yet to be confirmed.
The northern section of the mothballed Leamside Line will be used for the route and there are broader ambitions to regenerate its southern section too, in order to provide a restored rail connection running down into County Durham.
Metro operator Nexus has now confirmed that the more detailed proposals for the railway line and stations will be showcased at a series of 14 public events in September.
It comes after claims from local Reform UK councillor Robert Pattison last month that the new route will “not benefit” Washington residents and was in the “wrong place”.
North East mayor Kim McGuinness said: “We’re bringing the Metro to Washington and I want local people to be able to ask questions and make comments on our plans for the route and its stations at events throughout the area this September.
“We have already started work on what will be the first new Metro line for 30 years and a key part of our vision for the Angel Network, a world class transport system for local people.
“Metro to Washington is about more than public transport, it is about how we help local people into jobs by making it easier and more affordable to get around – whether that’s people from Washington or travelling to the town for factories in and around Nissan.”
It was announced last year that the mayor would be pushing ahead with the Washington extension, with much of the costs set to be covered by a £1.85 billion transport funding pot handed to her by the Government.
Nexus said that people will be able to hear from Metro officials on why the proposed route and station locations have been deemed the best option, ask questions, and provide their views on the detailed plans at the drop-in sessions throughout September.
It follows a previous round of public engagement in summer 2025, while an outline business case for the massive project is scheduled to be completed by the start of 2027.
Nexus’ major projects director, Paul Welford, added: “We are committed to listening to local people and ensuring their views help shape the project as it develops. We are already in discussions with landowners that could be impacted and want to engage with more members of the wider community.”
Here is a full list of the drop-in events:
- Tuesday 1 September: Washington Millennium Centre, Concord, 4-6pm;
- Saturday 5 September: Washington Arts Centre, Biddick Lane, 1.30pm-4pm;
- Monday 7 September: Wardley Fitzgeralds, 12.30pm – 4.30pm;
- Wednesday 9 September: Tansy Centre, South Hylton, 1.30pm-4pm;
- Friday 11 September: Teal Farm Pub, 1.30pm-4.30pm;
- Saturday 12 September: North East Land, Sea, Air Museum, Washington, 11am-2pm;
- Tuesday 15 September: Sunderland College, City Campus, 5.30pm-7pm;
- Wednesday 16 September: Washington Arts Centre, Biddick Lane, 10am-1pm;
- Saturday 19 September: The Galleries, Washington, 10.30am-1.30pm;
- Tuesday 22 September: Columbia Village Community Centre, Washington, 5.30pm-7pm;
- Wednesday 23 September: Tansy Centre, South Hylton, 10am-12pm;
- Friday 25 September: Pelaw Metro Station, 8.30am – 10.30am, and 5pm-7pm;
- Saturday 26 September: The Bridges shopping centre, Sunderland, 10.30am-1.30pm.

Daniel Holland
Reporter for the Local Democracy Reporter Service.
South West Durham News covering news across County Durham.



